Wednesday 13 January 2021

Bordering




 Looking at my last post I realise I've made considerable progress  since. I felt the triangles needed a border to finish it off and make it a better size. It was the usual problem of having lots of fabric but not one that seems just right or that I have enough of. In the end I went for an older pink ditsy print that I think by its texture might be a Laura Ashley brushed cotton.  

There was enough to miter (I usually write "mitre" but the spell check disagrees) so I cut my pieces the length of the sides plus two border widths and a bit extra. To aid accuracy I marked my stop point a quarter inch from the corner and sewed on all four border pieces doing a back stitch at the point to stop the seam unravelling.

Here you can see the border piece extending beyond
 the edge of the top.

Sewn seam with back stitch at point


Having attached all four border pieces I drew a 45 degee angle from the marked point.



Then I aligned the adjacent borders to form a point and sewed along my drawn line taking care not to catch the seam allowances but again to stop at the point.

Once pinned sew along the drawn line.

All that is left is to trim and press for a nice neat finish.



2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

The border frames those triangles nicely. I seldom miter the borders, but often because I select rather busy overall prints.

cityquilter grace said...

such a pretty quilt and the pink is perfect!