Tuesday 22 September 2020

Let's tessellate

 

An issue from 1995

Having finished my BOMs and sandwiched them ready for quilting as you go I'm avoiding getting down to the next quilting stage.  I am working my way through old magazine runs tearing out anything of interest and discarding the rest. This piece on tessellation caught my eye and I thought it would be good to use with a long held pack of 29 fat quarters from the Sweetwater elementary collection. I'm not particularly fond of these but need to do some using up and I think they would suit a teenager or boy. 

Leftover pieces

My oblongs will finish at 6 by 12". Because of the tessellation and interlocking planning is tricky so I started with on point 1" trimming pieces, then a diagram on graph paper and then stuck the fabric to the centre of its corresponding cross.

First attempt

The cunning plan









The plan was invaluable when laying out my pieces on the floor at which point I needed to do some stitching and some unsticking and resticking on my plan. Once fixed I picked up the 12" blocks and piled them on my board separating each with kitchen paper or napkin and each rows worth with a square of fabric, ready to sew.

Blocks layered up ready to sew


Layout


Although the sewing isn't challenging I shall have to be careful about the arrangement as the cross pieces are matched with four different corners which link up to form further crosses.

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

I did that pattern ... similar with the same results ... and put it together by rows. The hardest part was keeping the rows in order once the sewing began. I did a bag with tessellating maple leaves that was similarly complicated.