Tuesday 21 April 2020

Mad March Hare quilt


Stymied temporarily on my illusion quilt while I await fresh fabric supplies and reconcile myself to substituting on three rows, I resolved to get to grips with quilting the Mad March Hare quilt. The hardest part is deciding what to do. Constrained by lack of ability and wish not to spend too much time (piecing is my thing), I only aspire to utility quilting.
Block cross hatching completed and sashing marked with soap.

For this one I located some variegated thread suitable for the multi-coloured blocks and quilted diagonally across each turning the quilt and back tracking along the edge to the next diagonal starting point. Normally I would then stitch in the ditch along the sashing; this time I switched to a self coloured thread and quilted up and down crisscrossing the sashing, vertical rows first, then horizontal travelling from one to the other sashing oblong along the side of the sashing post. When all complete the pieced sashing posts were quilted on all four sides.
Sashing oblongs done
Interesting shapes emerged: stars, octagons and oddly shaped diamonds.
Woven check backing wide enough not to need joining, a nice surprise.

I remembered the binding I had made at the outset in the sashing fabric and found it easily too!
The lines were marked with sliver of soap.
I am quite pleased and now onto the chequerboard.
Though perhaps I might make some face masks as there are murmurings about making these mandatory (although none are to had!). I hate anything over my face.  And I'm hopeless at this sort of sewing partly because I hate it.

2 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I like this quilt so much, Mary.

Julie Fukuda said...

I like the results and the backing is wonderful. I only once found fabric wide enough that I didn't have to piece it, and since it as donated fabric, I don't know where it was from. Piecing a backing has to be my least favorite part of making a quilt.