Thursday 5 November 2015

Bargello Dry Run

My guide

Block trimmed to 12.5" unfinished size.

I am planning to set a bargello block as the next stint for Bonnie Quilters but as it's an unfamiliar technique I thought I'd better do some sums and have a practice. I will change a couple of measurements to vary the slope but here's the first effort. I deliberately made my block bigger but trimmable to allow for all the seams and any inaccuracies. In the event I was surprised by how accurate I was - thanks Pfaff!

1. I started with two 2 1/8"  strips of 4 fabrics,
the 1/8 being "wriggle room".

2. Join in pairs

3. Join the pairs but sewing from the opposite
ends while keeping ome edge straight.

4. Press all seams in the same direction

5. Sew the long edges together to form a tube.

Start subcutting strips starting with the outer edges of the block; first cut 2".

Continue from each side with 1.75, 1.75, 1.5",1.5" 1.25". 1.25 and a single
centre 1" cut.

The centre is unpicked between Fabric 1 and 6, then from the
centre between 3 & 4, then 2 & 3, 1 & 2, 1 & 4, 4 & 3 and
3 & 2.

Repress alternate strips in the opposite direction so seams
will nest and sew into pairs.

Join the pairs sewing from opposite ends to avoid bowing.

Place 12.5" square ruler on the block and trim evenly on all sides. The 6" and
6.5" lines will fall on either side of the centre strip.

No comments: