Friday 17 July 2015

In the sewing room again

Washaway applique sheets

These hands
I am making a  quilt for the baby daughter of a friend of my son, squares of pretty fabrics. I asked the parents to draw round their hands (note to self; think twice next time as hands are tricky). I am using these non toxic washaway sheets. I started by ironing the sticky side to the hand and pressing  the seam allowance over but for the second one placed the non stick side onto the the back of the hand and pressed the seam allowance over so it adhered to the sticky side which worked much better so I made the first pink hand afresh. I washed the reject and, sure something washed away but there was still a soft residue on the back but as the fabric felt soft not stiff I'm OK with that. I was going to put the hands on the front but now think they'll go on the back along with the child's name which I'll do using Sarah Fielte's "method".
From the Sisters'show I include details of Ann Pedersen's 94" square Peek-a-Boo Lace quilt, wonderful "cutaway embroidery using two layers of fabric - the machine outlines an area for you to cut away the top layer of fabric; the machine then finishes the embroidery around the cutaway section."


3 comments:

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

I am using these non toxic washaway sheets. I started by ironing the sticky side to the hand and pressing the seam allowance over but for the second one placed the non stick side onto the the back of the hand and pressed the seam allowance over so it adhered to the sticky side which worked much better so I made the first pink hand afresh. I washed the reject and, click here

James Gerber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Gerber said...

Thanks for including me in your post. I have enjoyed my machine and I love hearing what other people use and love. This was such a wonderful idea!! best automatic espresso machine