Wednesday 1 December 2010

Becky's Nine Patch 01


This is my bedroom in days of yore (1996??) with a quilt made for my neice Becky on the bed. She was at university at that time. I chose the block because of the appropriate name. My source was Beth Gutcheon's "Perfect Patchwork Primer" published by Penguin and now long out of print. It's very readable (she wrote a novel as well) and I love the black and white block drawings leaving the user free to impose their own style. If you're a traditional quilter and a lover of blocks I suggest you lay hold of a copy if you happen to come across one.
The block is partly a ninepatch and partly a corner log cabin. As you see here I chose to set my blocks corner to corner in sets of four which created a pleasing secondary pattern and I have followed this arrangement in later versions exploring the various possibilities and I still have some more in mind.

2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

That is a very interesting effect. It looks like the blocks were a pretty good size when ccompleted.
I wonder how it would look using the same fabrics but in different locations in each block....
Oh, don't get me started...

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! And I own that book! It was one of the first I ever bought way back when! In those days, they lived in NY and I lived in NJ and I even called and chatted with Beth, thinking nothing of it in my youth and the scarcity of available quilters and quilt books!