Wednesday 31 March 2010

Quiltology 02

Since doing  my "corners" demonstration on special rulers I have had the idea of using one of the shapes - the Bi-Rangle -  as sashing; so to liven up my Quiltology quilt this is what I decided to try. The first decision I had to make was whether to have yellow star shapes between the blocks or yellow framing pieces. I opted for the latter as otherwise the blocks would have set off the stars rather than the other way round which didn't seem fair after the work we'd put into piecing them. My ruler wasn't big enough to make pieces to go round a 12" block so I resorted to cardboard templates and the quilter's wheel. I marked the sewing lines and, with a dot, the angle points so that putting the shapes together was quite easy. I think everyone should learn how to draft and to make and use templates! I've completed the inner sashing pieces and have a bit more cutting out before making the ouside border.


No comments: