Sunday 8 January 2023

New Year, New Project

 I should really be tackling one of my many UFOs but I have long been on the  look out for a suitable project for Laura Ashley scrap bag fabrics, many offcuts from garment manufacture plus other brushed cottons and stripes and checks. There is some viyella added too. Most date from 70s/80s.

I am using Sandy Bonsib's method from her 2005 "Tried and True" book now I guess out of print but available secondhand. She made 6" blocks while mine will finish at 7 1/2", the largest I could get with the size of the scraps.

To make two blocks I cut two 3.5" squares from a contrast fabric, mostly floral scraps and added the same size main fabric squares on either side and finished off with 9.5" strips top and bottom. There was no need to be super accurate with the latter as blocks will be trimmed.

1. Here are the two starter blocks side by side.

2. Now right sides UP on top of
each other.

3. Slice in to at a slight angle but
more or less centrally.

4. Put one of the cut pieces
underneath so that two
different sections are
on top

5. Join the top two and then the 
bottom two sections matching
 centre seams as far as possible







6. Trim the block to it's unfinished size using a ruler or square and wonky angle. The left one is complete. 

7. The final pair of blocks; they come together very quickly.


No comments: