Sunday 3 May 2020

Day 53

Celestial Timepiece 77.5" x 81.5"

I realise I have been remiss with blogging but busy with sewing. On an evening last week I put in the last stitch of hand quilting on my Celestial Timepiece. I've decided to call it that not only because it has many star blocks but because it is a distillation of my love of patchwork and quilting and is rooted in my first lessons in piecing. It is the one quilt I shall ask my daughter not to let go and pass on though the female line. Since taking this photo I've added binding and it's gone to the bottom of the binding pile. That way it will be number 200 on my list when finished..
Labels: I usually try to include lines of poetry or a quote.

Bernina 570












Having got 5 quilts awaiting hand sewing binding down I now needed to make labels. My Bernina 570 has been on my conscience. I seemed to have problems at the outset and although it did lovely alphabet stitching I found the manipulation of words and letters difficult. I've been meaning to get  the machine out since going on the Bernina course last March. I made labels referring to not one but two sections of the manual. Yay! it's much easier to use and not make mistakes than my Janome.


So that's where my blues went.

Favourite side minus detritus

Reverse

I have a reversible runner on the chest at the side of my bed and it gets dusty so in Lockdown non-regular household jobs mode I removed the detritus off to wash it. Looking within I found long ago piles of fabric from my early quiltmaking days. I succumbed and took out this pile which was old fashioned when I bought it and is even more so now and not very good quality either. There was a pattern with it and in my present gungho mood I was off, cutting pieces and making a trial block- I plan 50 9" squares to be set on point.
Pattern and my diagram

Masses of fabric: tasteful right?

1 comment:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

That quilt is stunning.