Wednesday 2 September 2015

Half Square Triangles are back

Two years on it's back to some basic blocks and patchwork shapes in the U3A class along with some complex patterns for the more experienced. At home I have completed a four patch block of 3" HST's which I haven't photographed. I have prepared samples for 4" HST's which would make a ninepatch block.
1. Take two 5" squares

2. Draw a line corner to corner in pencil. Here I used biro so it
would show up in the photograph.

3. Sew 1/4" on both sides of the drawn line. I used dark thread
for demonstration purposes only.

4. Cut along the drawn line with scissors or rotary cutter.

5. Press toward the darker fabric.

6. Trim to 4.5" maintaining the central diagonal seam.

A possible but odd arrangement

Simple but effective arrangement of 4" units to form a 12.5"  size square (12"
finished) block. 

No comments: