Sunday 13 September 2009

Visit to Astoria








On a beautiful day we set off for Astoria at the mouth of the Columbia River, a lovely setting, lots old work buildings on the shore, clapboarded houses in pretty colours on the wooded slopes and downtown cafes and secondhand shops. To my surprise Alan pointe out a Jo-Ann's right there on the main street. Not as large as some but but I bought some cheap turquoise fabric for the back of my workshop quilt coming up. My husband is a star! After lunch he went off to the Maritime Museum while I went to the Flavell historic house, beautifully restored. There were two quilts upstairs, not original to the house and one a 1930's piece. I also squeezed in a quick visit to the airy Hmespun Quilt shop on 10th right by the river and bought fabric and a Lazy Angle ruler and a Wondercut ruler, the former I'd seen demonstrated on The Quilt Show and the latter I've read about a lot on Stashbusters. I just cannot resist those special rulers!

No comments: