Sunday 22 May 2022

Boys' Nonsense



 Boys' Nonsense is the name of this block. More than a decade ago I took part in a transatlantic swap involving Kona Black and Laurel Burch fabrics. At the time I made extra blocks which I have now unearthed to make charity quilts for young people. "Boys' Nonsense" was one of the blocks I made for the swap and I am now making 7 more to use as setting squares for other varied blocks received in the swap. It's a treat to return to traditional rectangles, squares and triangles after lots of machine quilting, curves and improv. 





This setting arrangement seemed like a cunning plan but having laid the 20 blocks out I'm not happy. I've tried narrow black sashing - just more of the same effect. Red was too dominant. Next up is a spotty black and a long treasured check fabric to try out. The check looks promising.



Having seen a modern sampler blocks setting online I am arranging another 12 blocks like this plus background. It means the quilt will measure 72" square, quite big. 





No comments: