Monday 4 April 2022

Day 3

 I went home very happy after this morning's carousel, a new departure, as it was a collectors' carousel where quilt collectors talked about their collection or a particular aspect. I wish I could have gone to all of them.

Waiting for the start


I started with the two ladies Maxine and Jackie who between them have amassed 70 Canadian Red Cross quilts. These were sent over in World War II for the relief of bombed out families and such like. Some still have the Red Cross label attached to them. 


They made handling versions of some
designs used









Then I sat at Elizabeth Nally's table where she talked about two quilts made by ladies called Mary, one North Country and one Welsh and their quilts reflected very different styles of quilting. Elizabeth had done quite a bit of research into the makers which I appreciated very much.



Then Sally Stott and feedsack quilts but also lots of examples of feedsacks themselves whether with simply manufacturers' details on then or with prints to attract female purchasers. 



And finally the very knowledgeable Carolyn Gibbs whose heritage club I have belonged to over several months. She was talking about frame quilts, my favourite. Carolyn's day job teaching chemistry enables her to understand when and how fabrics and colours were made.

In excellent condition

A lovely design







I checked out the Sutton Hoo wall hanging all along one wall of the Atrium.



The icing on the cake was when I went along to the Big Party Tent for a final coffee and to check the various raffles was to find I had won the Oliso iron and wool mat in the Chinese auction and a beautiful pack of fat quarters from Euro Japan links with whom I had already spent spent most of my outlay.



1 comment:

cityquilter grace said...

ooh lovely post and lucky gal you...enjoy!