Wednesday 30 March 2022

Cushion cover

 

Old cushion cover

We seem to require loads of cushions on our chairs. This EPP one looked very nice on the rocking chair, little sat on. Once it came into use it sadly deteriorated and Brenda Gael Smith's Striptease workshop last Saturday morning proved the opportunity to fashion a replacement. My old fashioned prints were not the norm for this king of improv. but suitability for the room was the priority.



Aiming for 18" finished I bordered my piece

Then I sandwiched it putting checked cheesecloth on the back to avoid bulk.



Very bravely I got out the walking foot for my Bernina 570 and it worked like a dream (I finally seem to have resolved my issues with this machine).



And I put 30 weight decorative sulky cotton in the bobbin and stitched along the lines of the cheesecloth pattern so as not to be distracted by the piecing on the front. 



Then I trimmed the quilted piece to 18.75".






I made the back with a zipped closure covered with a separately cut flange, a wonderful method learnt from Louse Mabbs.

Bookmark indicates position of
flange.

Flange invisible in photo.







The cushion is now in use, creased from being sat on, but should prove sturdy enough to withstand hard wear.


As zips can be quite expensive I simply tore out the green zip from the back of the previous cover for future use.

Postscript
A very homely mug rug 
which used up the rest of the
bobbin thread for the cross
hatching


1 comment:

Pam said...

Very creative!