Monday 21 February 2022

Virtuous sewing



 I have joined the Jelly Roll Jazz blocks and and a right hodge podge they are too. I now realise they are really called Jelly Roll Jive but Jazz seems more appropriate given their clashing nature. I now understand (too late) the process a bit more. The bocks are made by joining 4 WOF strips lengthwise and the cutting the into squares and the squares crosswise into HSTs. If you cut eight 8 1/2" squares and four diagonally in one direction and four in the other direction you can make blocks like the centre two. If you just do four cut half one way and half the other I think you will end up with half the blocks turning one way and half the other so that  lights will meet up with lights and darks with dark from block to block - good to try out with paper first.


Alternative version



I also unearthed some blocks from a Marti Michell class whereby 4 fat quarters were folded and then cut to yield the exact sizes for four log cabin blocks. To add more will be quite a lot of work but it seems a pity to waste them and I now have masses of Kaffe Fassett/Jacobs etc FQ's thanks to the Mary Ann Corp bequest and a Fat Quarter shop fabric club.

The apple fabric was my starting point


There was a lot of the border fabric for the interlocked "rings" quilt and tucked in the folds was a magazine pattern I have long intended to use it for. I assembled some fabrics and got to work only enlarging the border to 6" instead of 4" to make it 49.5 by 59.5. It's a simple straightforward quilt but very likeable. I've pieced the backing and will prepare the binding so it is ready to quilt when I finally have an outlet.

Completed quilt top


In the evenings I am big stitch quilting the strippy from Carolyn's class and enjoying it so much it will be quite densely covered in the end.

Marking central lines with soap.

And those masses of "Kaffes" - I am aiming to convert this 



into this 


No comments: