Tuesday 2 August 2011

U3A progress report

Borders added





































Blocks joined awaiting borders







































I am getting on with the U3A3 quilt (made one three years running hence the 3). I very much enjoyed combining the  units the students made. It was fun working with other people's colour choices and I love those Cherrywood fabrics.
I quilted the blocks individually and joined them in rows of three quilt as you go and then joined the rows. I'd allowed enough wadding  (Hobbs 80/20 black) and backing for the border and added first the turquoise and then the teal stitching and flipping. I've now marked the frames and borders for a squares on point design and have ordered more thread. I quilted the blocks in Gutermann's Sulky 12 weight but will use the same colourway  in 30 weight for the rest - a bobbin should go further and it will be easier to thread the needle.

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

You did a wonderful job of putting all those wild blocks into the corral and fencing them in.I have taught classes in quilt-as-you-go and usually choose a non-directional busy print for the backing to hide the seams.