Tuesday 8 September 2009

Quilting in Portland, Oregon






Here I am houseswapping in Portland, Oregon in a lovely historic neighbourhood of turn of the century houses and tree lined streets. Our house here has been beautifully restored and furnished by the owners. Very comfortable and lots of nice things to look at including two cats. It's taken me a few days to get organised with uploading photos and blogging. The local church has loaned a very old Singer which is a bit of a struggle but it will be nice to complete a few of my Katharine Guerrier blocks while here. I was very disappointed it lacked a presser foot and the ankle and nut to attach it with but our neighbour from across the road arrived with a pretty box of tomatoes and herbs and of course she is a quilter too. We adjourned over the road where she lay her quilts on the bed for me to admire and photograph. I hope to get a set of prints done for her before I go. Then it was off to the sewing machine shop where parts were produced. Of the two versions I bought, one works, one doesn't. Now I'm puzzling how the 600E bobbin works - I can't see anywhere to wind it either. However I think a manual is available to view online. I have made a start with the bobbin already in there. After the sewing machine shop it was off to Fabric Depot a really big shop. I didn't buy anything as it was overwhelming but I shall return - they had lots of wadding including the green bottles variety which I want to try. I'll show more of my namesake's quilts in coming blogs.

No comments: