Thursday, 19 June 2008
I hope I'm not repeating myself when I say this is some long hoarded navy cotton/linen fabric and some Cherrywood hand-dyes I've been saving. I cut them out yesterday and couldn't wait to get at them this morning. I made exactly the "right" number of blocks but looking at them I feel I need some extras to get the colour balance right - fewer colours. For the first time I hope to hang some wadding up as an impromptu design wall as it's hard to judge standing at the side of them. This is my backstop as a candidate for a custom quilting slot I've booked in the autumn.
As the 9-patches are being set on point with plain blocks and setting triangles I didn't need to pay too much attention to pressing but in fact cut them all out and sewed and pressed the same way.
I cut out 20 3.5 by 14.25 inch strips of navy and the same of the colours and sewed them together along the length, pressing towards the navy. The extra quarter inch give me a bit of leeway. I subcut these stripsets into 4 3.5" units. In addition I had cut out 20 navy 3.5inch squares.
For each block I sewed three pairs together pressing toward the centre pair, I added the floating navy square to the other pair, pressing out to the navy and then added this unit to complete the 9-patch.