Wednesday 16 November 2022

Wartime Comforts

 

I was very taken by this elongated hexagons pattern.


Knowing I'm a quiltmaker a neighbour asked me over for coffee and to look over her family quilts made during the war by now very elderly or late relatives. I was able to tell her they were hand sewn over papers with tiny invisble stitches. A real fabric resource and by people who really knew how to sew.The border on one was mitred and backing and front edges turned in. Technically they are coverlets as typically of this variety of patchwork they have no wadding or quilting.

Detail of pink bordered one indicating mitred corners
This was a smaller one made for a child and these corners weren't mitred.



















As the origin of quilts gets lost over the years I suggested she make a record of the makers and dates. One aunt had said it was a very calmng activity in time of war.

Detail of fabrics



No comments: