Saturday 12 February 2022

This week

 This week I have cut out the Drunkards Path units for the border of of my giant nested nested circles and stacked the rest in a pile between sheets of kitchen paper as a compact project to take on our cottage retreat at the beginning of March. The first focus of that time will be working on the piecing elements of our Usual Suspects group quilt with Maggie while Tracy and Belinda make the applique centre. 

The front


The back still unfinished














Meanwhile under my table is a basket of stuff I have put in to do "sometime" but somehow sometime never comes. Recently I have bitten the bullet beginning with two sided log cabin blocks "someone" gave me. The fabrics are old fashioned but I still have such things too and it seems a shame they should go unfinished. At Belsey last year I joined them using strips on one side to cover the seams and have done a bit of handsewing down the strips since I got home. It will get done as and when.

Next up was an unprepossessing  set of blocks rolled round a cardboard tube. To my surprise when unfurled these turned out to be a complete quilt top and in a old fashioned way rather nice. Adding a border to bring it up to a more usable size was short work and very satisfying. There was a lot of the border fabric and it had a suitable pattern pushed inside the folds. I plan to kit it up after the jelly roll jazz blocks are done.





Next up are some jelly roll jazz blocks from a Houston workshop some years ago. I bought two Fassett jelly rolls while out there, one for this workshop and one for Marti Michell's log cabin workshop which I think is buried lower down. I want to make 12 blocks of the jazz quilt so plan to raid the other stash. I obviously lost my way with this doing various variations and none so it will be a hotch potch, but a colourful one.

Jelly Roll Jazz blocks


1 comment:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Lots of pretty projects here. I have a UFO that uses that pattern - I don't remember the name but the one that looks like chain links. I made it during an Olympics so many years ago. I might have to dig it out and finish it.