Saturday 28 August 2021

Clearance

These brown and aqua transatlantic swap blocks have been hanging around for a long time as has the sale fabric I planned would go with it (the shop I bought it from has changed hands twice since then and has now closed).

Note the odd one out on the bottom row - background too tan.


I framed the 9" blocks to bring them up to 10" finished size - some needed wider frames than others - and embarked on cutting borders and setting squares from the coordinating fabric only after cutting out lots of pieces did I see blocks and fabric side by side only to realise they don't really coordinate after all. I'm just hoping the magic of patchwork and Maggie's long arming will come to the rescue. This was always meant to be a sale or giveaway quilt and fabric for the front and back was taking up a lot of space in my cupboard. I'll put any bits remaining on the retreat scrap table.


Now I've started to set the blocks - I am sewing four quadrants - I am getting to like the combination and thinking this will turn out to be a nice quilt which would work well in many bedrooms.


However the fact that I am more invested in the project made me worry about the one block with a darker background that jarred. 
So  I am now making a replacement having drafted a slightly simplified pattern which I shall foundation piece. I sourced fabric of the same vintage from a top of the cupboard box.
The offender though very nicely sewn

My pieces ready to sew


No comments: