Tuesday 18 February 2020

Arrived

I am in Austin for QuiltCon; I met three other attendees in the immigration. One I recognised from her picture in magazines and another was Sarah Hibbert who has two quilts in the show which I'll watch out for as I'm a fan of her work.
I had a couple of parcels waiting for me, one containing Japanese yukata fabrics from Okan Arts and the other a ruler and interfacing from The Quilt Show.
I must have been inspired by one of the quilt show programmes in my choice of interfacing. The uses are listed inside the packet so I mustn't lose these bits of paper. The Print and Fuse is a temporary fused base for applique pieces whether raw edged or turned over the interfacing pieces only to be removed easily when sching lines are dampened. The Ricky Tims Stable Stuff on the other hand can be left in as it softens when washed. Both types are printable.

This came beautifully packaged from Okan Arts, I want to get some suitable plains to use with the fabric to make a quilt on the lines of those in Patricia Belyea's East Meets West Quilts book.

This morning we checked out the visitor center and the Convention Center where preparations were already taking place and walked along the river, the Colorado River here damned into calm lake proportions with flood control enabling the landscaping of the bank. I saw terrapins on a log, geese, egrets and other bird life. 


Add caption

I like the reflections

There was a footbridge across the river from which we saw a train cross on the railway bridge. Four locomotives pulled a 109+ tanker trucks.
First

and last

Lastly we fetched up at the wonderful Austin Library where I perused a couple of quilt books and enjoyed a sit down. American libraries are the best.

Quilt shelf

Hadn't come across this one before

General view of the sixth (non-fiction) floor.




1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.