Monday 6 May 2019

Oast Quilters

Janet's class quilt with close lines of quilting.

Janet know how to use a microphone.

You can see the quilting

The afternoon talk by Janet Bottomley was excellent. She spoke about how the roots of liberated and inprivistional quilting go back to traditional quilts and also covered modern influencers such as Gwen Marston and the Gees Bend quiltmakers. She also had plenty of her own quilts to show us. 
I took Judi's Hever Stars quilt to hang to promote her June workshop which is filling up nicely. 
Judi's Hever Stars

I'll also take it to Quay. I also took a picture of an interesting quilt at Show & Tell made from an arrangement of HST's.
Show and Tell quilt













Janet with lots of handouts and samples


Janet called this her gin and tonic block

Students' work, a small selection.

Janet's Sunday workshop was well attended and we covered a lot of material during the day but with no pressure. We just had to complete a "porthole" by lunchtime but otherwise could  do what blocks we wanted in what order we wanted. The porthole was to be layered  so we could practise circular quilting which she demonstrated after lunch. The possibilities of portholes were already opening and for me the circular or rather spiral quilting went so well I will definitely incorporate it into future projects. Just in time I'd come across perspex circular templates while seeking out something for my husband. I did two portholes and drew an oval egg shape for the second one.
My portholes

No comments: