My namesake Mary shared a tree skirt pattern but it wasn't till this year I got round to making it. We had the most magnificent tree ever so it merited a suitable set out.
The skirt was composed of pieced diamonds and feature squares. When I looked at the pattern it seemed that I needed to cut some squares on point and some straight. In the event it would have been better to cut the all on point (they were a directional print) but by then I'd burnt my boats. I quilted it with a thick soft vilene as wadding.
To tie it round the tree I cut a circle out from the centre and a slit with ties. It was a surprisingly quick and easy make for so effective a result.
|The diamond units|
|The feature squares, 4 on point and four cut straight|
|I made four of these units practising Y-seams|
|The completed piece before I trimmed the rear square level with the adjoining ones and cutting the centre circle and slit|