Wednesday 4 January 2017

Running into 2017

First one: I always use this side up

Reverse: the dark indigo shows every speck of dust in no time.

We are starting a fresh term with the U3A patchworkers and Margaret is going to be showing members two-sided quilt as you go blocks while on a similar theme I shall offer the option of a two sided table runner. I made the first one in a house group with friend Marion.
From the magazine:This one is extra long, 48" by 16" and stresses different colours of the same fabric range on each side
 Since then I found Karen Montgomery's pattern in Australian Patchwork and Quilting vol.8 no.1 and I note that the one I made with Marion had an extra square in a square in the middle and no extra triangle on the end, whether by accident or whether that was Marion's variation I don;t know. I later went on to make another one with Bonnies, smaller to fit my bedside chest and with no end triangles.
Bedside version: no end trangles

Reverse side
 (The first one is on my bedroom chest of drawers). It would also be possible to make a placemat sized version.
The first one I made had very differing fabrics on each side and I could't source a binding fabric to fit both so made my first double sided contrast binding.
Binding detail: single fold with two contrast 1.25" strips sewn lengthwise together.

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

There is one quilter here whose quilts in all the shows are two-sided. I have often thought how interesting it would be to try making one, but I think that would be a machine project.