Monday 11 May 2015

Been Shopping

Today we have been visiting the wider area around Chesterfield and calling in on two local quilt shops along the way. The first was  Quiltessential where there was a class going on and lots of lovely fabrics including my favourite Carrie Bloomston prints. the shop owner was also a fan and brought up pictures on her phone to show examples of items made from Carrie's next collection, "Story", out in September. I think I've thought of how I want to use these designs, a repeat of a quilt I made for Bronwen in NZ some time ago. This shop is sited in Cromford Mills, the first/very early, 1771 cotton mill built by Richard Arkwright and powered by a complicated system of water power. My husband enjoyed reading up on all this while I was in the shop. Then we checked out the canal and the wharf. I was pleased my quilting led us to such an interesting place.

The setting

What I bought

On the way to Bakewell (utterly lovely) we stopped at Heirs and Graces, Patchwork Direct. Lots of varied fabrics including wovens and designer voiles and the converted church was an excellent setting.


My Heirs and Graces purchases: I continue to collect novelty prints.

It was a lovely day and the countryside round here is so delightful; the leaves are very fresh and every town has a river and extensive riverside walks.

No comments: