Friday, 2 May 2014

Bonnies' feathered stars

The four of us have embarked on a new project instigated by Trish who is guiding us through the intricacies of   Kay's Star a design in Marsha McCloskey's book. We are all keeping in step and keeping to deadlines. First off we made the centre:
Mine using fabrics for a Web Fabrics BOM which I didn't make,


Fran's:  her corners were waiting on guidance

This week we started on the triangles to edge the star making them using a method that you find in books of a certain vintage but is rarely used perhaps because it's a way of making lots of same colour HST's rather than scrappy ones or a few. I wasn't convinced but it turned out to be quick and accurate partly because we ended up doing a little trimming down to the exact size.
 TWO we sewed the pairs along the
longest edge
THREE we sewed the pairs together in size
FOUR we cut 1.75" HST's using the bias
line on a square ruler  And FIVE sewed
strips of three units mirror imaged to measure
4.25" long
ONE We took two contrasting squares ironed right
sides together and cut into 2" diagonal bias strips.

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

I love those star blocks especially.