Saturday 1 March 2014

St David's Day

At the last Usual Suspects meeting Tracy gave us a bunch of daffodils. It was lovely to watch them burst out.
"Mellow Yellow" 59.5 x 71"
 Still on a yellow theme on Tuesday I finished "Mellow Yellow" (named after a Donovan song from my youth) one of a number of pieces using Judy Johnson's stacked squares technique. The Amy Butler fabric bought in a John Lewis sale proved to have a shorter repeat than I first thought and it was very hard to find fabric to match. In the end I resorted to my hand dyes. I started this in February last year with Crab & Winkle so in UFO terms not too bad!
I drafted a cardboard template for the quilting and marked the top, machine quilted with my IDT walking foot and washed it to remove the marks. The Pfaff foot lift feature proved very useful for sewing curves.
Quilting detail

The back

1 comment:

cityquilter grace said...

thanks soooo much for the preview of spring...we need it bad here in the frozen north...LOL