Tuesday 16 July 2013

Arlington Court

I've enjoyed a lovely morning and lunchtime wandering round Ilfracombe but later in the afternoon decided to get in the car and make for Arlington Court, a National Trust property in a most remote and beautiful spot. It was the home of the Chichester family until 1949 when the unmarried daughter of the house left it to the National Trust.
I was pleased on my tour of the house to see two patchwork quilts. Earlier in the day I saw a small crazy quilt in a pram at the museum. My children were pushed in just such a pram. Meanwhile an exhibition at the theatre displayed textile pieces by Sandy Campbell,

Textile piece by Sandy Campbell




1890 quilt made locally. The silks are disintegrating.
Some fabrics date from a century before.

Quilt made by Mrs Page in the early 20th century

Fragile silks


Fussy cutting

No comments: