Wednesday 3 April 2013

Mind the gap


Because of fading fabrics no longer proceed from darkest to lightest

I think I've left too long a gap between posts so here are two pictures from  earlier. The log cabin was on my bed in March. The fabrics have faded and having been made in the mid 1990's it has a very dated look but it's a very comfortable soft quilt so it still gets its annual turn.
Quilt by June Barnes

On another note entirely is the June Barnes' prizewinner on a friend's living room wall. I love the subject of pots and urns and admire it hugely and having heard about it it's good to see it on display. By contrast the log cabin has never been on display as it has a mistake in it which might be glaringly obvious when hung up. Now I wouldn't be self conscious about such things but the time has passed. It is stitched in every ditch and looked like corrugated iron on completion. I felt obliged to iron it.

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

Nice to see your post. One would think with modern technology, it would be possible to make fabrics that don't fade or disintegrate. A log cabin quilt I made many years ago is on a bed in my daughter's sunny back room. Though it is still holding together, it is pretty faded too.