Monday 30 July 2012

Finishing up

Trying out strips.
Backing first choice
Busy day today - I'm trying to finish things off and not leave them standing. I've sandwiched the leftovers quilt having washed the wadding and pieced the back. I've Bubblejetted the Flora Abunda label and printed it. I've pieced my blocks from a long ago Jelly Roll class by Jo Baddeley of Puddleducks.  Then I spent quite a long time deciding what to do next. Should I leave it borderless and use my previously chosen backing with just enough space round so I would have to quilt it myself?
Should I back it with this sarong from Malacca?
Should I add my limited number of leftover strips to form a border in which case I would need more backing? Should I go along with my previous plan to have this longarmed by Maggie? In the event I decided on the latter plus no border plus different backing and piece Chinese coins from my leftover strips to eke out the width of backing.
Final choice of backing

All this while up and down watching the Olympics.
It was great to see Zara Philips' fast circuit in the three day event watched by cousins William and Harry and most of all the male gymnasts win bronze.

Having published this post and checked out my photos again I have decided to go with the strip border. I've already made the red binding. I find all these choices quite irksome though necessary. I just want to get on. I notice that this sort of decision making plays a much greater part for art quilters. In fact these blocks lay neglected for so long because I couldn't decide how to quilt them. It is good to have a longarmer close at hand as now.

1 comment:

karylsquilts said...

hihi, I really like that pattern. I have some batiks that will work wonderfull, is that by chance a free bee pattern some where online???... Im wishin, looks great !