Thursday 15 December 2011

My Blue Heaven 75x89 inches

My Blue Heaven detail
When the Book Group organiser came back from her house swap holiday in 2010 she announced her daughter had had a quilt on holiday and wanted one for herself. Anyway as I make some quilts with no home to go to I said I would make her one. First I lent books. Still no decision. Then I suggested she should come to our July 2011 quilt show and get some ideas. I then thought this might NOT be have been in my best interests as there were some complex quilts on display including a Baltimore and New York Beauty but the wonderful girl opted for squares with a plain border and cable quilting. The blues she pointed out were rather grayed shades. She was very firm in her requirements concluding ". .and I want it single bed size!"  So my task was easier than I expected. I could have hugged her! I sewed "blocks" 4 squares by 5, the individual squares measuring  3.5". I bought a set of FQs to lend some unity to the project and then added lots more from my own stash. As we wanted the quilt to be finished in time for Christmas I machine quilted the centre but handquilted the border. It's now ready to go and I hope I've started a young person out on a lifetime of quilt collecting.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'd say she chose very wisely! That's a lovely quilt which will go with anything.

Julie Fukuda said...

That is such a lovely finish. I love all those blues and how they work together.