Tuesday 31 August 2010

PINCUSHION

Having acquired new pins in the US at the behest of Judi I thought I would make a new pincushion for them using a favourite pattern pieced over papers - a rosette top and bottom and six more hexagons round the sides and six squares with sides the same length as the sides of the hexagon to make it 3-D. Mine are 1 inch. I was sewing these on the the coach to Festival of Quilts and companion Maggie said that they looked a bit large for a pincuhion. I pooh poohed this notion but on completion I have to acknowledge she was right; this is one mega pincushion and with two bags of emery inside plus enough wadding for a child's quilt or so it seemed this could be used in some ancient Highland sport as much as in a sewing room. It also has a lopsided look when placed on one of the sides. I shouldn't be able to mislay it. I now realise my earlier pincushions had 3/4 " sides. This is such a useful pattern I'm surprised not to see it more often - the only other person I know with one is friend Trish. It came from an early P&Q book which now I can't find though I'm sure I still have it somewhere.

No comments: